PhD-Position “Curating the Feed: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Digital Image Feeds and their Curatorial Assemblages”
Tübingen, Germany, 26. November 2022.
PhD-Position “Curating the Feed: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Digital Image Feeds and their Curatorial Assemblages” at the Ludwig Uhland Institute for Historical and Cultural Anthropology, University of Tübingen (Germany)
At the University of Tübingen, Ludwig Uhland Institute for Historical and Cultural Anthropology, there is a
PhD Position (m/w/d; TV-L E13, 65%)
available to be filled by 1 February 2023 (or the earliest possible starting date).
The position is limited to 36 month.
* Independent academic work in the interdisciplinary research project “Curating the Feed: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Digital Image Feeds and their Curatorial Assemblages” with a main focus on digital anthropology and ethnographic research. For an outline of the project see: https://uni-tuebingen.de/en/239241
The PhD researcher will focus on the users of social media feeds and how the feeds affect their everyday lives, while also asking with interdisciplinary approaches about the role of artificial intelligence/machine learning and algorithms.
* Academic qualification through doctorate/dissertation as part of the research within the project.
* Interdisciplinary collaboration with project members in media studies and computer science at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar; interdisciplinary cooperation with the members of the DFG priority programme “The Digital Image”
* Regular participation in the Digital Anthropology Lab Tübingen: https://uni-tuebingen.de/en/226959
* very good university degree (MA or equivalent) in cultural anthropology / European ethnology
* very good university degree (MA or equivalent) in related subjects such as media studies, sociology or cultural studies, provided the applicant has experience with ethnographic research
Please note: the degree certificate does not have to be available at the time of application if it can be submitted by the time the position starts (see also application documents).
* very good English language skills
* very good German language skills, or
* Good German language skills and willingness to participate in German language courses at the University of Tübingen
* Previous experience in the research field of digital anthropology or similar fields
* Interdisciplinary study or research experience
* Digital and data skills (e.g. in the field of computer-assisted data analysis, web design, image and video editing)
Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be given preference. The university seeks to raise the number of women in research and teaching and therefore encourages qualified women to apply for these positions. Employment will be carried out by the central administration of the University Tübingen.
* Cover letter with curriculum vitae
* Graduation certificate (high school or similar) and MA certificate (university).
If the MA degree certificate is not yet available, a summary of the thesis with information on the expected date of graduation can be submitted as an alternative.
* Summary of MA thesis (1-2 pages)
Please send your applications via email in one PDF document by 26 November 2022 to
Prof. Dr. Christoph Bareither
Institute of Historical and Cultural Anthropology
University of Tübingen
72070 Tübingen (Germany)